GPU acceleration

2D Fluid Dynamics plug-in
Matttrebor

GPU acceleration

Post by Matttrebor » 18 Apr 2009, 20:03

hi,
I run the demo of turbulence2d on After Effect CS4, with vista32. Everything fine, not a single crash.
But I'm wondering something about the GPU acceleration. Per exemple, with non GPU acceleration, I have this simulation, running approximately at 4fps. With the GPU acceleration, it's about 5fps, not much.
So in my case, I have no difference between with and without. I have a GEFORCE 8800 GTX, so it's supporting this. I have the latest driver.

any idea ?
thanks.

jascha
Site Admin

Re: GPU acceleration

Post by jascha » 20 Apr 2009, 08:14

Matttrebor wrote:Per exemple, with non GPU acceleration, I have this simulation, running approximately at 4fps. With the GPU acceleration, it's about 5fps, not much.
So in my case, I have no difference between with and without. I have a GEFORCE 8800 GTX, so it's supporting this. I have the latest driver.
That's not enough, indeed.
Could you check whether the simulation actually runs on the GPU by checking the title bar of the popup window? It says "CPU" or "GPU" right after the Fps number.
Even if GPU support is available, there are a few situations in which the simulation has to fall back to CPU mode.
jascha

minovski3000

Post by minovski3000 » 17 May 2009, 19:16

Hi there,

I´m running adobe CS4 on bootcamp under VISTA 64 on a MAC pro. my grafic gard is an nvidia 8800GT. but i can´t activate the gpu acceleration in the turbulence plugin. can you tell me how to get the gpu working?

best

Min

jascha
Site Admin

Post by jascha » 17 May 2009, 19:27

Try installing the latest Nvidia driver. The default driver that comes with Windows Vista does not support GPU computation.
You can also use GPU support on Mac OS. For more details see this page
jascha

zzyzxerxes

Post by zzyzxerxes » 17 May 2009, 21:13

I am running AE CS3 and CS4 on a MacPro(harpertown)8 core, 16gb RAM and NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600. GPU acceleration is enabled, kext installed.

The plugin and GPU acceleration is great on CS3, but it becomes very unstable for CS4, and is much slower, too. I am running both apps in single proc mode, purging all before simulation, and computing at:
8bit, GPU 2, half res(half of 2048x1156).
Cs3 default memory settings and cache(separate disk) at 5GB
Cs4 default memory settings and cache(separate disk) at 5GB

The sequence is @200frames. CS3 completes with no problems, CS4 will crash, with "out of memory" error halfway through. My guess is that CS4 doesn't handle memory as well. has anyone had similar issues, and what were your solutions?

for jawset, I wanted to make you guys aware of this, and maybe there is something you guys can tweak, to counter CS4's memory needs/usage.
Thanks for a great plugin

jascha
Site Admin

Post by jascha » 18 May 2009, 08:26

Thank you for your feedback.
There are some known memory issues that will are fixed the upcoming maintenance update. It is likely that you came across one of those.
I'll check on the CS3 vs. CS4 GPU stability.
On an 8 core machine, simulating in CPU mode using all cores should get close to GPU speed because saving the simulated frames to disk becomes the performance bottleneck.
jascha

zzyzxerxes

Post by zzyzxerxes » 17 Jun 2009, 05:46

seems like the update is working. So far the GPU rendering is much faster, even at 2K. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again-
jjjj

arjunokecil

Post by arjunokecil » 28 Jan 2010, 23:24

Postby minovski3000 » 17 May 2009, 20:16
Hi there,

I have almost the same problem as one above. I´m running adobe CS4 on a MAC pro. my grafic gard is an nvidia 8800GT. but i can´t activate the gpu acceleration in the turbulence plugin. Even after installing the drivers it is still not working.

I have a very very short deadline and I am dying to get the plugin to work for me on a somewhat high resolution but it's crashing constantly. So it would be very nice if someone could come back to me quickly.

thanks very much

Jurriën

jascha
Site Admin

Post by jascha » 29 Jan 2010, 10:11

Hi Jurriën,

is the GPU checkbox disabled or is the sim just not using the GPU?
The latter may easily happen when working with large resolutions if there is not enough memory available on the graphics card.

Also, can you send me a test-project that reproduces the crash via e-mail? This would speed up fixing the problem a lot.
jascha

Crescentvn

Post by Crescentvn » 15 Oct 2010, 04:17

This plugin is really nice. But will ATI v-card support it? I have a 4670, will I able to use the plugin?