Performance GPU CPU

Fluid Dynamics for CINEMA 4D
Lubo

Performance GPU CPU

Postby Lubo » 28 Dec 2017, 10:12

Hello,

I`m running TFD in the Trail-Version to learn and understand the tool before I buy it.
Actually I do a Tutorial-Series on lynda.com and wondering why the performance of the Sim is extremly slow down after some caches.
I work on a i7-7820x / GTX1080Ti / 32GB RAM / WIN10 Machine.
I have to restart C4D to get the Realtime-Speed again, but only for a few seconds. The GPU Rendering takes for example 6 Sec. and the CPU 14 Sec.. After a few Moments both slow down to 15 Sec.

What I have to do to keep the speed up?

By the way, it`s a awesome tool, it makes really fun.

Best regards

Lubo

jascha
Site Admin

Re: Performance GPU CPU

Postby jascha » 30 Dec 2017, 20:46

If it's the entire sequence that takes 15sec, then what you're seeing is framework overhead rather than simulation performance.
Storage performance often varies over time and system load. Many simulations are bottlenecked by storage throughput.
To see the difference in CPU/GPU performance, reduce the voxel size in order to get to tens of millions of voxels (the MV value shown).

Lubo

Postby Lubo » 23 Jan 2018, 14:44

Sorry for the long delay. I agree that the GPU Rendering is much faster than the CPU one.

But please take a look at the attached picture. It shows three renderings that makes after another. I didn`t change anything in the scene, just pressed the "Start" button. Every time it tooks much much longer. The only solution for this I have right now is to restart C4D but this can`t be the workflow :-).

Best regards
Attachments
TFD-Test-Steam_Forum.c4d
(306.36 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
TFD-Rendertimes.jpg
TFD-Rendertimes.jpg (181.28 KiB) Viewed 147 times

jascha
Site Admin

Postby jascha » 23 Jan 2018, 14:59

I couldn't reproduce this slowdown. It might be a storage related issue.
You can check that by running simulation in Interactive mode instead of Cache mode. You'll have to manually stop the simulation after a number of frames in this case. Note the time, start the simulation again and stop it at the same frame number again.
If the same slowdown occurs, please send the turbulence.log file from the following path:
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\jawset\turbulence.log

If it does only occur in Cache mode, try storing the cache on another storage device. Also try deleting the previous cache before restarting the simulation.

Lubo

Postby Lubo » 27 Jan 2018, 08:14

It`s the same. It slows down. Here`s the logfile. Hope you find something usefull :-)

Thank you!!
Attachments
turbulence.log
(300.4 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

paulselhi

Postby paulselhi » 11 Feb 2018, 18:45

No slow down here sims at 1m 21 sec then 1 min 19 sec on Geoforce Titan 6GB. I am saving caches to a separate drive TFD ver 1 rev 1433
Fundamentals OF TurbulenceFD In Cinema 4D - Over 13 Hours of Tutorials and Projects Available Now
http://www.black-and-white-to-color.com/ipbsfx/files/file/127-tfd-cinema-4d-fundamentals//

Return to “TurbulenceFD for CINEMA 4D”