bcf2vdb command line utility

Fluid Dynamics for CINEMA 4D
Cankar

Re: bcf2vdb command line utility

Post by Cankar » 24 Oct 2018, 17:58

I have the same issue, I didn't reinstall turbulence yet, but if you say it didn't have any effect I don't think that it would be necessary to do it.
I tried to simulate a cloud and to simplify my memory usage by using a Redshift Volume. But the conversion into .vdb files failed.
I can't even open the program, if I start the bcf2vdb.exe file through any commandline it says that the libomp.dll file is missing.
Has anyone a working solution?

kennygeeze

Post by kennygeeze » 19 Dec 2018, 18:57

Same exact issue here. That app doesn't work.

I have plenty of turbulence simulations that I would love to convert to vdb so I can actually render them, but the app appears to be broken.

jascha
Site Admin

Post by jascha » 18 Jan 2019, 19:15

Correction to the instructions posted above: don't use Powershell, use Command Prompt only.
Powershell requires changes to the command and does not work with drag&drop without manual changes.

- Open Command Prompt from the Windows start menu.
- In the TurbulenceFD plugin folder find the file bcf2vdb/bcf2vdb.exe and drag it to your command prompt.
The full path of the .exe file should appear.
- If you press Enter it will print a description of the available options.

In order to convert a TFD cache folder to VDB
- Enter the exe path again
by dragging the .exe to the command prompt again
or by pressing the up arrow key to repeat the last command
- Press space
- Drag the TFD cache folder to the command prompt window.
Make sure to drag the folder that contains the actual .bcf files.
Those are typically called "Cache 001", etc.
Don't use the base folders, (the ones called "TurbulenceFD Caches 001").

If you don't specify any other options, the tool will generate the .vdb files inside the same folder as the .bcf files.
The tool also allows you to change the output directory and filename pattern and select individual channels to export in case you don't need all of them for rendering. Please see the options description output mentioned in the beginning for details about these options.