TFD on Amleto 32. BETA and LW 11.5.1

Fluid Dynamics for LightWave 3D
LiquidSky

TFD on Amleto 32. BETA and LW 11.5.1

Post by LiquidSky » 21 Jan 2014, 06:35

After much messing around, I figured out how to get TFD to work with the Amleto render farm. Here's the skinny:

This pertains to 11.5.1; I've not yet tried 11.6 on account of it being a lot pickier with Amleto from what I've heard, so I may put in an update if I find that something changed with it.

1. First, TFD has to be installed in your "support" folder, not within that other "plugins" folder in "bin" that Newtek confusingly uses. It will also not work from an external "thirdparty" folder, where some folks like to store their thirdparty plugins for ease of updating.

2. Start your nodes, and be sure to "Resend config" in Amleto Server so your nodes are updated.

On each render node:

3. Locate the Amleto cache folder on each of your render nodes, and look for its copy of your TFD folder, for example:

C:\ProgramData\Amleto\Cache\LW11-64\Support\plugins\ThirdParty\TFD\libs
(LW11-64 is my Config name in Amleto Server, swap in your own.)

4. Delete the following four .dll's

QtCore4.dll
QtGui4.dll
QtNetwork4.dll
QtOpenGL4.dll

5. Select the following five .dll's and COPY them.

cudart64_55.dll
libiomp5md.dll
libmmd.dll
msvcp100.dll
msvcr100.dll

6. Paste into the Amleto Cache Program folder on your render nodes:

C:\ProgramData\Amleto\Cache\LW11-64\Program
(LW11-64 is my Config name in Amleto Server, swap in your own.)

That should take care of the issue.

NOTE: whenever you update the configs, you'l have to go in and delete those four Qt .dll's from the Amleto cache again for each node, but the first five in Program should stick around and don't need replacing unless they get updated.

There are two problems in the initial setup that we are fixing:

First, you'll get errors because Windows can't find the second set of .dll's on behalf of LWSN; we fix that by copying them next to the LWSN executable.

Second, you'll get "Cannot find procedural entry point" errors with the four Qt libraries. Here, of course, when we *don't * want LWSN to find these DLL's, it goes ahead and uses them :P Since (I surmise) the TFD version of the DLL's are older ones that are needed for the UI, and we'll never be invoking the UI from render slaves, I delete them to force LWSN to use its own copies.

LiquidSky

Re: TFD on Amleto 32. BETA and LW 11.5.1

Post by LiquidSky » 21 Jan 2014, 09:41

And it looks like there's still one fatal flaw: the damn config gets updated whenever you restart a node, and the Qt .dll's come back! Great.

I'm going to see if we can get a tweak to Amleto to remove auto-config updating. It will likely be a lot easier than getting Newtek to write decent code (why in the hell LWSN is calling any UI libraries at all is mystifying.)

jascha
Site Admin

Post by jascha » 21 Jan 2014, 15:28

LiquidSky wrote:1. First, TFD has to be installed in your "support" folder, not within that other "plugins" folder in "bin" that Newtek confusingly uses. It will also not work from an external "thirdparty" folder, where some folks like to store their thirdparty plugins for ease of updating.
It should work in an external folder if that folder is accessible/sync'ed to all render nodes.
Storing it in an external folder would prevent the issue LW has with non-plugin DLLs in the plugin folder.
What's the error you're getting?
LiquidSky wrote:NOTE: whenever you update the configs, you'l have to go in and delete those four Qt .dll's from the Amleto cache again for each node, but the first five in Program should stick around and don't need replacing unless they get updated.
You can delete the Qt DLLs from the plugin folder entirely since you're using LW 11.5. The files are only needed for older LW versions that don't ship with those DLLs.
LiquidSky wrote:First, you'll get errors because Windows can't find the second set of .dll's on behalf of LWSN; we fix that by copying them next to the LWSN executable.
That's an issue with LW which is trying to load every DLL it finds in the plugins folder like it was an LW plugin (.p file).
It does not do that if the plugin is installed outside the plugins folder.
If you can make the sync'ing work for external plugin folders, this should simplify the setup.

LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky » 22 Jan 2014, 02:37

Hi Jascha,

Thank you for that info regarding the Qt libraries, that obviates the need for building a fake config without those dll's to get around the resync issue.

Regarding the external folder setup (which I originally got the idea for it from Q), I didn't get any errors originally; I'd simply get no TFD output at all. Once I moved TFD into the LW directory, that's when I'd get the first errors about missing DLL's. Amleto does seem to sync everything else that is in there, like D. Pontonnier's plugins.

Since we don't need those older Qt files, I'm inclined to try that setup again in light of what I've learned, to see if it works. I'm planning to do it later tonight after I get a delivery out the door, and I'll post the results here.

rednax

Post by rednax » 15 Mar 2017, 13:14

Were you able to use TFD with Amleto in the end?