Upres continue?

bujablaster

Upres continue?

Postby bujablaster » 28 Oct 2013, 17:53

Hello all,

i am fresh new to TFD and of course i like it, but found a few things they maybe could be better (or i didn't found how to workaround), i think this is common for LW and C4D (searched through whole forum, but found nothing):

Upres continue

I found there is no possibility of continuing upres sim (like continuing of original sim if velocity is cached) - reason is the same like during sim - during upres, you want to see some frame(s) rendered, so you will stop upres, do a few renders ... but after stopping upres there is no way to continue it (or i didn't found the way), you have to go back to your low-res cache and do whole upres again.

Tried few ways to workaround this:

- just clicked "continue" button with upres cache - obviously it did nothing with error "cannot contnue sim (no sim state is available in this cache)

- loaded low res cache, set up start frame to next from last upres sim frame (ie. have animation 1-300 fr, upresed 1-138, set start of scene to 139 and did upres, but it was like starting new sim from frame 139

- tried with "timing" panel - container cache was original low res, did set up frame start to last upres (upres was stopped at 138, so i set 138), checked out Start Clean Simulation and used Continue Simulation From File from that last frame 138 .bcf and clicked Upres button, but not sure with results - is this the way to do it? Comes to me like something betwwen sim and upres ... with upres(olution).

Possibility of editing more than one Container parameters

Was doing some clouds tests, first generated one cloud cluster, then cloned it with same cache to make more clouds without any further sims needed. Works fine for me, but until i needed to re-tweak all clouds shader/rendering (original one and clones too), i had to click one container after another and do same settings needed one after another.

In case like this would be nice to have possibility to select needed containers and edit their properties at once (copy/paste inside containers window is no solution, because you need to tweak only some parameters together, but you don't need all of them to be same, only a few.

But maybe i am missed something and there is solution how to do both things, continue upres and edit more than one container at once, so will be glad if someone can explain it to me.
Have a nice rendering,
Ondrej aka bujablaster
Sorry for my english, it is not my native language.

"Life is like riding bicycle - to keep balance you must keep moving."
- Albert Einstein -

... stop talking and just listen.

jascha
Site Admin

Re: Upres continue?

Postby jascha » 30 Oct 2013, 15:12

Neither is currently supported in TFD.
But both features are on the roadmap for future versions.

paulselhi

Postby paulselhi » 30 Oct 2013, 16:04

the second issue could be done with xpresso, you have the containers as xpresso nodes and you can port data into several containers from one xpresso node
Fundamentals OF TurbulenceFD In Cinema 4D - Over 13 Hours of Tutorials and Projects Available Now
http://www.black-and-white-to-color.com/ipbsfx/files/file/127-tfd-cinema-4d-fundamentals//

bujablaster

Postby bujablaster » 30 Oct 2013, 22:38

jascha wrote:Neither is currently supported in TFD.
But both features are on the roadmap for future versions.

Nice plans Jascha! And what about future OpenCL support so we can take advantage of any GPU, not only nV? "It is said" that OpenCL is much more optimized than CUDA.

paulselhi wrote:the second issue could be done with xpresso, you have the containers as xpresso nodes and you can port data into several containers from one xpresso node

Thanx Paulselhi, but "unfortunately" (in this case) i am Lightwave user :/ But will take look if the same could be done with Lightwave nodes, thnx for inspiration!
Have a nice rendering,
Ondrej aka bujablaster
Sorry for my english, it is not my native language.

"Life is like riding bicycle - to keep balance you must keep moving."
- Albert Einstein -

... stop talking and just listen.

jascha
Site Admin

Postby jascha » 31 Oct 2013, 09:16

bujablaster wrote:And what about future OpenCL support so we can take advantage of any GPU, not only nV?

Support for AMD GPUs is on the roadmap for future versions.
"It is said" that OpenCL is much more optimized than CUDA.

The opposite is the case.

rednax

Postby rednax » 21 Mar 2017, 16:50

Copy properties from one container to another would also be a very handy feature.
I too find myself getting the structure in to place, realising the need to tweak something and then having to remove all of the other containers and start again, hoping the tweaks work out. If not I have to do it a 3rd time and so on.

Simple right click on fluid container one, copy properties, then right click on container two and paste properties would be ideal.
I'm LW by the way, but this was the only section I found a related suggestion.

Thanks!

paulselhi

Postby paulselhi » 29 Mar 2017, 22:20

Just make a copy of the container
Fundamentals OF TurbulenceFD In Cinema 4D - Over 13 Hours of Tutorials and Projects Available Now
http://www.black-and-white-to-color.com/ipbsfx/files/file/127-tfd-cinema-4d-fundamentals//

jayhem

Postby jayhem » 24 May 2017, 21:11

What do you mean? Not sure how copying the container would help. :(

paulselhi

Postby paulselhi » 07 Jun 2017, 18:45

Well do all your settings then copy the container and change a setting

Return to “General Discussion”