Custom TFD PC advice needed

vfxman222

Custom TFD PC advice needed

Post by vfxman222 » 27 Jun 2016, 03:22

I am looking at investing in a dedicated custom PC that is focused on GPU horsepower to maximize large scale TFD builds. I've been looking at NVIDIA TItan's, GTX 980's, etc... Anyone have advice for pointing me in a direction to get this ball rolling? I am mostly a Mac guy, so Windows is a bit of an annoyance and unknown area for me. I've decided to not go the hackntosh route, just so I can maximize the machine as best as possible. I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks

The general setup I am looking to use:
- Cinema 4D R16
- X-Particles 3
- 64+ gb ram
- GPU with 12gb (preferably) unless multi GPU support is coming soon in TFD v2
- 1TB SSD Boot drive
- 6 TB cache drive

paulselhi

Re: Custom TFD PC advice needed

Post by paulselhi » 27 Jun 2016, 19:22

The Titan with 12 GB RAM and a very fast mem throughput is the better choice as far as TFD sims are concerned since mem throughput is the bottleneck. 12 GB should easily do most sims you will need.
I get by with my 6GB Titan but am very tempted to sell it and upgrade.
I rarely use my CPU for sims

vfxman222

Post by vfxman222 » 27 Jun 2016, 22:10

paulselhi wrote:The Titan with 12 GB RAM and a very fast mem throughput is the better choice as far as TFD sims are concerned since mem throughput is the bottleneck. 12 GB should easily do most sims you will need.
I get by with my 6GB Titan but am very tempted to sell it and upgrade.
I rarely use my CPU for sims
Thanks Paul. I am dealing with large scale sims that fill frame in 2K-4K footage, hence the 12GB preference. I need the details. I was using a Titan black 6GB on a hackintosh at my old office, and I was pushing it considerably then. Lots of times having to compromise on detail due to lack of GPU space. I only use GPU for sim too, never have enough time for CPU. :) My goal is to make this a dedicated fire and smoke machine, so all resources will be available to C4D and TFD.

I've been researching cards for a few days now, and have seen mentions of 12GB cards actually being split 2x 6GB, also that the Titan Z 12GB is a waste of money compared to the GTX 980 and so forth. So far I am only seeing a few 12GB options. It looks like Titan Z, Titan X, K6000, and a Tesla K40. Titan X being the top contender from what I can tell. Does this sound right? Are there other options that you know of? I just wanna make sure I look at everything before making a choice.

I also was looking at adding Octane to the mix to help speed up renders, but I may split this into another thread as this alone could be a heavy conversation.

paulselhi

Post by paulselhi » 28 Jun 2016, 05:16

AFAIK All the 12 GB is available though there were some cards that did have to share the mem with 2 GPU processors, TITAN Z, in this situation we would have to wait till multiple GPU support to get use of all the mem. The TITAN X is a single GPU and thus all the mem should be available to TFD

olahaldor

Post by olahaldor » 05 Aug 2016, 18:45

Get the Titan X. Titan Z, as you say, have the memory split in 6GB+6GB.

If you happen to get a Titan X now, make sure it's not the new Pascal chip. If you're not in a hurry, we can hopefully get a TFD version which supports the new Pascal chip, which you'll most likely get a little speed boost from.

But until the CUDA8 SDK is out to the developers and they feel safe adding it to the mix of their apps and plugins, Pascal (the new Titan X, 1080 and 1070) is a no go.
LightWave 3D 2015 | Modo 12
Windows 10 | i7 5960x | 128GB RAM | RTX 2080 Ti

vfxman222

Post by vfxman222 » 05 Aug 2016, 19:24

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize that. I'm gonna be diving deeper into this build very soon.

vfxman222

Post by vfxman222 » 21 Aug 2016, 03:26

Good read Paul. Thanks.

Man, building a PC is like buying a stupid toothbrush, I just want the best setup that does the job right and won't break after a few uses. Too many options. :)

vfxman222

Post by vfxman222 » 22 Aug 2016, 18:52

So I've put a list together, as a first pass/attempt at figuring this custom PC stuff out. Giving me headaches galore, I don't know how in the world any body does this stuff on a regular basis. Ridiculous amounts of variants of the same product exist with no clear info on what the real differences are. Regardless, I wanted to get opinions from users here, if any of this list sends up any red flags or is on point for my goal mentioned above.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/mnY4d6

I also want to add a simple GTX 680 or something for monitor use. The list wouldn't let me add a second card that differed from what I chose initially. I want the Titan to be dedicated to only TFD use and nothing else.

Just to reiterate/expand on the goal. I am dedicating this machine to smoke and fire TFD work only. 4K, 2K, and 1080 production quality work with frame coverage varying from 10% - 100%. Sim and render will take place on the same machine, but not simultaneously. This machine will be on an island and not connected to any other machine. Required due to my home limitations.

The software setup is as such so far:
- Windows 8.1 pro (not yet purchased)
- Cinema 4D R17 (got the free R18 upgrade deal)
- X-Particles 3 (Already own floating)
- TFD (Already own floating)
- Octane (waiting to see if they improve their volume shading)

vfxman222

Post by vfxman222 » 26 Aug 2016, 00:46

After some advice from some friends and more researching, I've updated my parts list to this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3VNqm8