Fluid Dynamics for CINEMA 4D
vfxman222

bcf2vdb command line utility

Post by vfxman222 » 02 May 2017, 04:12

I just noticed the updates that have been done since build 1420:
v1.0 Build 1425 (2017-03-26)
* (bcf2vdb) Added --base-name option.

v1.0 Build 1424 (2017-03-26)
* (bcf2vdb) Fixed: 1423 broke export of multiple channels.

v1.0 Build 1423 (2017-03-25)
* Added --parallel-jobs option to bcf2vdb.

v1.0 Build 1422 (2017-03-23)
* Added bcf2vdb command line utility.

Anybody use this feature yet? Is there any documentation on using this hidden somewhere by chance? I'd be interested to try this out.

chris001

Re: bcf2vdb command line utility

Post by chris001 » 08 May 2017, 13:57

Just trying it. Seems to be easy to use (on windows 7):

got into the folder where the bcf2vdb.exe is located.
press shift and do rightlick into the explorer window (on empty space; not on a file). You will now have the context menu option "Open command line from here" or sth. like that ( i have a german windows....). Do that.
If you now type bcf2vdb into the command line you will see all the options that could be used.

Next you open a new explorer window, navigate into the folder where your bcf tfd cache files are and copy the path from the adress line into clipboard.
Go back to the command line, type bcf2vdb , hit space, then right click and paste the path. Hit enter. done.

Does this help?

There are probably more and easier ways to do this though....

Speed: On my system it needs ~1min for 3 or 4 frames with a filesize of ~400mb each. File sizes of bcf and vdb file are not the same but in a similar range...

I can render the converted vdb files with Arnold (c4d version) by loading them into the "Arnold Volume" object... Seems to work!

I'm actuallly trying to find out if vdb files would need less preparation time to render with Arnold and/or needs less ram memory then rendering the actual tfd-container...
pixellusion vfx

vfxman222

Post by vfxman222 » 08 May 2017, 17:11

Thanks, I will give this a try.

Sup_a10

Post by Sup_a10 » 15 Dec 2017, 05:28

I did read it. but when I started doing, I was stuck. My type is :
- bcf2vdb [ => the options show up ]
- bcf2vdb i arg D:\Cache [ => It notices: " Option '--input' cannot be specified more than once "
- bcf2vdb D:\Cache [ => It notices: " Option '--input' cannot be specified more than once "

What I have to do ???

jascha
Site Admin

Post by jascha » 16 Dec 2017, 20:31

Here is a quick guide on how to use bcf2vdb or many other command line tools like it.
- Open a windows command prompt or power shell.
(In the start menu type "command pro...")
I'll call this app the "shell" below.
- In the TurbulenceFD plugin folder find the file bcf2vdb/bcf2vdb.exe and drag it to your shell.
The full path of the .exe file should appear.
- Press Enter iot. print the documentation of the available options.

In order to convert a TFD cache folder to VDB
- Enter the exe path again, by dragging the .exe to the shell again or by pressing the up arrow key to repeat the last command.
- Press space
- Drag the TFD cache folder to the shell window.
Make sure to drag the folder that contains the actual .bcf files.
Those are typically called "Cache 001", etc.
Don't use the base folders, (the ones called "TurbulenceFD Caches 001").

If you don't specify any other options, the tool will generate the .vdb files inside the same folder as the .bcf files.
The tool also allows you to change the output directory and filename pattern and select individual channels to export in case you don't need all of them for rendering. Please see the options description output mentioned in the beginning for details about these options.

Sup_a10

Post by Sup_a10 » 15 Mar 2018, 03:24

Thank you! But I don't understand why the convert processing is always crash with a little bit heavy .bcf file. Example, I simulate 100 files, from 0 to 70, the converting works good, but from 71 to 100, it's crash. I try hundrend times with the difference simulating. But the results are the same. In the converting momments, my RAM's just about 13%. Please help me why?. Thank you!

jascha
Site Admin

Post by jascha » 15 Mar 2018, 11:02

Please create a bug report through the New Bug link on the website and attach one .bcf file that crashes the tool.
Thank you.

ansaytor

Post by ansaytor » 27 Mar 2018, 04:55

I'm having a different issue. When I go into the plugin folder that has the bcf2vdb application and try to double click on it, I get an error saying it cannot proceed because libomp.dll is missing, Reinstalling the program may fix this. However, I just installed it recently, and haven't messed with anything. Dragging the app to the powershell window gives me the same error.

joe

Post by joe » 30 Apr 2018, 22:05

With TurbulenceFD_C4D_v1-0_1435 it doesn´t work on my Win10 64bit.

Once I drag the bcf2vdb.exe into commander and hit enter a popup says "The code execution cannot proceed because libomp.dll was not found. Reinstalling may fix it."
But it still doesnt work.

When doing it like chris001 said it´s opened with powershell. After typing bcf2vdb and then entering the powershell says:

Code: Select all

PS C:\Program Files\MAXON\CINEMA 4D R19\plugins\TurbulenceFD_C4D_v1-0_1435\bcf2vdb> bcf2vdb

bcf2vdb : Die Benennung "bcf2vdb" wurde nicht als Name eines Cmdlet, einer Funktion, einer Skriptdatei oder eines
ausführbaren Programms erkannt. Überprüfen Sie die Schreibweise des Namens, oder ob der Pfad korrekt ist (sofern
enthalten), und wiederholen Sie den Vorgang.
In Zeile:1 Zeichen:1
+ bcf2vdb
+ ~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (bcf2vdb:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Suggestion [3,General]: Der Befehl bcf2vdb wurde nicht gefunden. Er ist jedoch am aktuellen Ort vorhanden. Windows PowerShell lädt Befehle nicht standardmäßig vom aktuellen Ort. Wenn Sie diesem Befehl vertrauen, geben Sie stattdessen ".\bcf2vdb" ein. Weitere Informationen erhalten Sie unter "get-help about_Command_Precedence".
PS C:\Program Files\MAXON\CINEMA 4D R19\plugins\TurbulenceFD_C4D_v1-0_1435\bcf2vdb>
...and I can not use it at all. :/

Typing ".\bcf2vdb" instead (as Powershell suggests) doesn´t help.

Also copying to another path with no space in the filepath doesn´t help.

ansaytor

Post by ansaytor » 30 Apr 2018, 23:06

I'm having the same issue on 2 different machines on windows 10 64 bit, fresh installs. Same error. Tried it in Command Prompt instead, same error.