Render TFD as a mesh

Fluid Dynamics for CINEMA 4D
thanulee

Render TFD as a mesh

Post by thanulee » 05 Aug 2018, 21:08

Hi, i saw some renderings from TFD as a mesh via realflow or krakatoa or both, owner doesnt describe the process he just says "tfd inside reaflow".
Is there a way to achieve this?
see here:
https://www.behance.net/gallery/6645141 ... Blossoming

thanks

chris001

Re: Render TFD as a mesh

Post by chris001 » 07 Aug 2018, 11:29

it seems he didn't actually use "tfd inside Realflow".
I guess he used the "RealFlow | Cinema 4D" plugin for cinema-4d, which is some sort of Realflow running directly inside C4D as a plugin:
http://www.nextlimit.com/realflow/realflow_cinema4d/
And it seems (i don't know!!) he meshed the tfd-simulation with it. But because the mesh had just one uniform color, he also rendered the simulation with the standard tfd-gradient and put the renderings together in compositing.

I think X-particles has a mesher as well, but i don't know if you could mesh a tfd-sim with it.
pixellusion vfx

thanulee

Post by thanulee » 07 Aug 2018, 11:34

Yes i know i own realflow and i try to find how he meshed the tfd sim in realflow cause that is what he means.

chris001

Post by chris001 » 07 Aug 2018, 13:37

"RealFlow | Cinema 4D" is not the same as the "Realflow" standalone program. You need to buy it separately; it's not startet via Realflow.exe but running directly inside Cinema4D.
Just saying, in case there is a misunderstanding... ;)

Other than that, there is the command-line tool in you tfd-folder for converting the tfd-cache to OpenVDB. In theory, Realflow (the standalone) can read VDB-files, so maybe that's a possibile way (but i have my doubts...).
pixellusion vfx

thanulee

Post by thanulee » 07 Aug 2018, 16:00

Ye i know i mean i own rf for c4d :) Rf in c4d doesnt read vdb same way as it doesnt read TP.
I mean it does but only once u emit from a RF emiter. There is no command of some short like "take this vdb or those particles and mesh em". U need a realflow emitter to generate stuff. From there has other options like tfd tag and emit smoke from RF particles etc, but i cant find the opposite :)

Short story: cant find how to give to RF these data, either tfd or vdb or thinking particles or anything else, while i can do the opposite.

chris001

Post by chris001 » 07 Aug 2018, 16:53

ah ok ;)
i don't have rf|c4d right now. But i'd probably just drag the container-object into the mesher :D
but i guess you've already tried this... ;)

I think it's possible to mesh a ThinkingParticles group though. So you could try to let TPs follow your simulation, and mesh the particles. The TP/Xpresso setup for "particles follow tfd-sim" is not complicated, but you'd need many particles, and i imagine it would look quite "blobby" and not 100% match the sim.

If you can wait a little bit longer & have the maxon MSA, you should get R20 in a month or so... It'll support OpenVDB, so you can convert your tfd-cache with the tfd-command-line-tool to OpenVDB and then import the VDB into c4d with the new feature. You can also mesh it with that.
pixellusion vfx

thanulee

Post by thanulee » 07 Aug 2018, 19:11

I talked a bit more with those guys, they told me they do it via krakatoa particles that again somehow magically they mesh in RF haha. Thanks for the help. I ve achieved similar workflow so far much easier not even xpresso, i just advect XP from TFD , and mesh those direct (uses openvdb same as r20). Its quite similar the mesh like really similar, but these guys just nail it pixel perfect and i wanna do same :D do i ask too much? haha cheers