Cache and Team Render

I put the cache files on a network drive, accessible to all Team Render Clients.
Why does TFD still load all the cache files to the local client?
Why not only the cache file for the frame it needs?
This way it takes ages before rendering starts, and seems a waste of resources.
Another annoying thing:
I’ve got Team Render Server on a dedicated computer. When I export takes from my Workstation to this server I have to disable the TFD container. Otherwise it will start copying all the cache files to the server for each take.
Later I have to load the render take from the server to switch the TFD container back on.

I’ve got X-particles and Realflow too. They don’t work this way, they just accept that the cache files are on the network disk. And don’t start copying them around for nothing.

Or am I doing something completely wrong?

In your TFD render options there is a check box “Automatically distribute cache to clients”

I’m rendering with Redshift. So how can I use that option without activating the TFD renderer?

OK best ask Redshift themselves…there is a way around it but I keep forgetting. Or ask a render farm how they would do it. Plugins [Documentation]

From Pixel Plow…“Use of Turbulence FD in your scene file requires that you use relative pathing to point to your simulation container. This is only functional in TFD builds 1.0.1047 and later. The relative path must be to the folder that holds the folder of your simulation cache, contrary to what would make sense. This means, if your simulation cache is in a folder called “Cache 001”, and that folder is sitting in the same folder as your scene file, the relative path to your cache would simply be “./”…meaning the folder holding your scene file. Apparently, that’s where Turbulence FD looks to find the folder that holds your simulation cache files. After defining a correct relative path to the cache files, you must select the cache again to link it to the object you wish it to modify.”

Shameless plug !! TurbulenceFD (TFD) For Cinema 4D Fundamentals | Software | Training

It works with the TFD render effect activated. The effect itself is ignored by Redshift.
So now I only have to save all the takes on my render server with TFD container off.
And then load the separate files, activate the TFD container, and save.
Then the files render without distributing all the cache files.
It’s a huge improvement.

1 Like

It’s all a bit confusing to me.