Redshift volume options greyed out in full version

I’m in C4D R20.059 / v1.0 Build 1452 / RS 2.6.49 and I have full, licensed versions of all. But my tfd options are greyed out in the RS Volume shader and I can’t figure out why. Maybe a compatibility issue?

I updated RS from .46 to .49 in case that was it, but no dice.

Please make sure that TFD is installed directly below the plugins subfolder of your C4D installation folder. That is, the following path should exist:
Windows: C:\Program Files\MAXON\CINEMA 4D R20\plugins\TurbulenceFD_C4D_v1-0_1452\TurbulenceFD_R20_1452.xdl64
MacOS: /Applications/MAXON/CINEMA 4D R20/plugins/TurbulenceFD_C4D_v1-0_1451/libTurbulenceFD_R20_1451.xlib

Redshift currently only finds TFD if it is installed like this. This should get resolved in future Redshift updates.

OH! Interesting. I followed the install instructions and it definitely didn’t say to put it there. Good to know. Ima give that a shot. Thanks!

From readme:
CINEMA 4D R20 and newer:
Extract the TurbulenceFD folder from the .zip file that you downloaded anywhere on your machine.
In CINEMA 4D open Edit/Preferences/Plugins and add the extracted folder to the Search Paths list.

100% worked. Thanks Jascha!

Also, they need to make sure their install instructions are correct.

The above addition to the install instructions is only an exceptional workaround for compatibility with current Redshift versions. Once the issue is resolve in Redshift, the regular install instructions are sufficient again and preferable for the flexibility.

Hello, I am having the same problem on C4D R23.110 / RS 3.0.39 also full licensed versions of all. My FTD options are greyed out on the RS Volume shader. I tried the workaround through the plugin folder paths but stayed the same.
What could be the problem?

What version of TFD are you using ? Can you upgrade to the latest RS 0.41 build ? Can you roll back to a previous RS build and see if it works. What is your workflow…Simulate a TFD container then add a RS volume material to that container and select the channels that you have cached to disc ? Previous builds are here : Product Download

From RS themselves
Check if Redshift has detected TFD or not. If it has you’ll see the TFD channels menu in the RSVolume shader. If it wasn’t detected make sure it is in the same plugin folder as the Redshift plugin.

Hi, I have the same problem. Currently running in R23. With the latest Redshift version. It shows up in the volume shader, but everything is greyed out. Any ideas?

There is an issue that prevents current Redshift versions to find TFD. The Redshift Team is working on a fix for an upcoming update. Until then, here is a workaround for R23:

• Install the latest TFD v1.0 1476 for both C4D R23 and R21. If you don’t have C4D R21 installed, when the installer prompts for the C4D folders, select your Desktop folder instead in the R21 row.
  • Copy the file TurbulenceFD_R21_1476.xdl64 from the folder
    C:\Program Files\Maxon Cinema 4D R21\plugins\TurbulenceFD (or your Desktop)
    to the folder
    C:\Program Files\Maxon Cinema 4D R23\plugins\TurbulenceFD
  • Rename the folder
    C:\Program Files\Maxon Cinema 4D R23\plugins\TurbulenceFD
    to TurbulenceFD_C4D_v1-0_1476
  • Restart C4D

Hi Jascha,

Is there a similar workaround for S24? I tried the above method and it did not work.

There is a workaround to help RS 3.0.50 and older find the TFD plugin:

Install TFD for both C4D R24 and R21. If you don’t have C4D R21 installed, just specify any folder to the TFD installer in the R21 row.
Copy the file TurbulenceFD_R21_1476.xdl64 from the C4D R21/plugins/TurbulenceFD folder to the C4D R24/plugins/TurbulenceFD folder
Rename the C4D R24/plugins/TurbulenceFD folder to TurbulenceFD_C4D_v1-0_1476
Restart C4D
1 Like

Thanks, Paul! I realized my mistake the first time- I deleted the s24 .xd164 from the folder after I had pasted in the one for R21. I just did it again without deleting it and it’s working fine now. Live and learn.
Thanks again!

1 Like

Don’t you just love it when it stops prancing around and lets you put the lead on.