TurbulenceFD build 1466 (C4D, macOS)

The new build v1.0 1467 fixes the lack of support for the R23 Metal Viewport on macOS 10.13 High Sierra.

Hello Jascha,

Great news to hear about the upcoming Metal GPU acceleration. I am at a crossroad, and must decide to go mac or pc. The question is, would it be better to go: dual 3090 NVlink 48Gb total (cuda PC) or dual Pro Vega II 64Gb total (metal/vulkan MAC)? I guess it’s an absurd amount of power, but since Redshift and Octane and even Cycles4d will be pushing metal, vulkan, will it actually be faster than Cuda in the future? Thank you for such a great product!

There is no general performance advantage either software stack (CUDA, Metal compute, Vulkan compute) has over the other. You’ll have to run one specific tool on different systems and measure how it actually performs. There are too many variables involved for good predictions.
There’s the exception of memory size, though. Performance can vary a lot between different tools and systems, but it’s relatively unlikely that the same tool will use significantly different amounts of memory on different systems. Thus, if you know that you will often exceed the available memory on one system, using the other system with more memory may be preferable.

Thanks for the quick response. I am pleased to know Metal will be in the next TFD update and I’ll be testing Metal on Redshift Beta. It seems to be that I can continue using Apple as my workstation. (preferred OS over Windows). Plus Insydium has shown the M1 is also quite quick, so I am looking forward to how all this will shape up in the future.

Version 1471 doesn’t work, so I’m trying to get 1466. Where can I get it?

Could you describe how exactly 1471 is not working for you and what kind of system you are using?
Thank you.

You can download v1.0 1466 here.

Can anyone tell me if this will work with Octane X? Or is this something OTOY have to implement?

Yes, the Octane X C4D plugin supports TFD.

That’s fantastic, any idea how I implement this because I can’t get anything to render?

I’m running c4d r23, octane x pr11. When applying an octane object tag on the TFD container, I get nothing?

I would greatly appreciate any help, links to a workflow for this?

Make sure it’s not TFD’s Learning Edition that you have installed. It does not support 3rd party renderers. The plugin package and folder names end in ‘le’ for this version.
Install the licensed version from https://jawset.com/install instead. Octane’s Object Tag should then work as expected.

Ah yes, I was evaluating it with the Learning Edition before I buy. Is there a way to evaluate this working with Octane X before buying? I will need to justify this to my accounts department before purchasing multiple license for our studio?

I have PM’ed you the details.

Bonjour Jascha,
Je suis dans la mĂȘme situation que Jody Gibbs, j’ai tĂ©lĂ©chargĂ© la version Learning Edition afin d’évaluer ce plugin avant de l’acheter et impossible de charger le rendu. Comme puis-je faire ?
Merci par avance.

J’ai envoyĂ© vos coordonnĂ©es en message privĂ©.

Please post messages on any topic other than the original one privately or in a new thread. This prevents off-topic notifications from being sent to everyone in the thread.