Crashing on 6787 R21

Good idea. It seems there is still some OpenGL related issue left. I have one machine that exhibits viewport issues on R21 too, although they are different from the ones you are seeing. When i get those fixed, it would make sense for you to try R21 again. With some luck both issues have the same cause.
I’ll let you know.

1 Like

Could you try the latest build? There have been several changes related to the viewport preview in the meantime.
Quick Start and additional info is available here.
Thank you.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay was rendering out a test scene. I have installed 1469 and wlil sim and render test that first to make sure that is stable then will fire up reactions

OK it installs fine on R23 but R20 and R21 show the wrong plug-in path as
C:\Program Files\Jawset Reactions
If I change that and restart C4D it reverts and I cannot get it to hold.
As for R23 i was confused by the fact that I could not render a cube primitive in the scene but then remembered that C4D is finicky about rendering with TFD on in the render settings but no TFD Container. So sorted that. However :

1. Rendering is slow but that is because it is using multi scattering…how do we turn that off ?
  2. As is, with the TFD render settings enable ( so no lighting of the scene) I get great colours, slow but good colours. If I add an infinite light the reactions volume is very overblown and the C4D scene is OK. Lowering the light power to accommodate the Reactions render means the overall scene is way to dark

Sorted the overblown issue by making the density very dark…that needs a colour picker as you of course are aware !! But still slow. Shadows are interesting now on a floor, whatever the light setting they seem to be area or at least soft.
And no render to picture viewer This is a render to view done in 10min 20 secs on default settings I73930K 6 core at 3.2 Ghz 64 GB Ram ( I still have no spare cash to build that xeon rig !!) It seems the shadows are not falling on the volume but they are producing shadows.

Thanks for checking installation on all C4D versions. Did you have any other plugins in the R20/R21 Search Path before installing or was the Reactions entry the first?

1. Are you rendering the Explosion template in an otherwise empty scene with the C4D Standard or Physical renderers? There shouldn’t be any multi-scatter. CPU rendering is not particularly optimized, but it shouldn’t be horribly slow compared to other CPU renderers. Is “Reactions CPU Renderer” checked in Render Settings? Could you compare render times to Arnold?
  2. Lights must have Shadow set to Raytraced or Shadow Maps iof. volumes to illuminate correctly.

Reactions is the only plugin that has a path. R23 is fine but R20 and R21 has a path to the bin folder and will not keep the change. I render the explosion in an empty scene and used advance render. Perhaps the look is not MS just some good shading but it looks like MS to me. Yes Reactions CPU render is checked I will do a render comparison by of course Arnold uses GI. It does however render the vdb files that reactions makes and end of sim…which is very fast as compared to the bcfconverter.

The fire emission in your picture overpowers the incoming light and makes the shadow negligible. If you turn off emission, you should see the shadow.

10min sounds more like a bug than bad performance. The image above rendered in 10sec - on a faster machine, but not 60x faster. Could you try removing TFD and render again? And also compare with Arnold?
Thanks.

1 Like

The most costly settings in the Volume Material is Quality/Self-Illumination Samples, which should be zero in the Explosion template and thus inactive.
Just a generic check: are all CPU threads rendering? That is, Task Manager shows 100% CPU load during render? Otherwise Preferences/Renderer/Custom Number of Render Threads may be set.

All thread are rendering. If I cache to rea files i get frame 0 rendering in 1 m 2 secs with the legacy bridge enable and with it disable ( which will switch of reactions) it renders in 5 seconds. That is wit the cube object and a Arnold distant light. I also notice that though stand-alone sims the whole scene, in C4D it seems to just hang at frame 80.
Switching the shadows off and Arnold renders at 59 secs and Advanced render in 1 second. So seems that shadows are the killer.

If I remove TFD there is no improvement. VDB files are fine it is the rea cache that is slow

Which renderer are you using to compare REA cache to VDB?

Arnold.
Now some weird happening…I was jiggling with my C4D infinite light and moving it around and for some bizarre reason my viewport preview of the reaction volume messed up…I thought it was going to crash but hit render anyway and now the speed up is there !! I also have the volume preview back and frame 0 renders in 4 secs with legacy bridge Off but unlike before Reactions now renders !!. The only thing I changed was the light position.

Could you attach %HOMEPATH%\ReactionsData\reactions.log? Thanks.

And now the viewport is messed again and yet it renders ok…well a lot faster…

reactions.zip (10.5 KB)

1 Like

Sadly i was mistaken still at 10-11 mins at frame 20 with an infinite light advanced render.
EDIT I notice that both the CPU and the 1070 sim faster than the Titan and they all give different results in the render for the same frame

OK I have reactions in both R20 and R21 I had to manually ad the paths in the plugins.json file as changing the path via preferences was not saving. The Titan is still struggling to simulate while the 1070 is fine. (1070 is my display card)
Edit…So I took the plunge and updated my Driver, always something I fear as it nearly always causing hours of hair pulling but touch wood this went smooth as a babies bottom and the Titan is now simming fine…Game drivers as it is a Maxwell card

Do the messed up viewports still occur with the updated driver? Do they occur regardless of which GPU the sim uses?

OK view “seems” stable now but quite a few hair pulling issues !!

1. I hope that “rea” render to picture viewer is disabled else I am having issues, render to viewport works.
  2. On both cards the sim seems to hang at about frame 80 then stutters and continues with no viewport update…but this is very odd as I have had it siming fully before. It may be that it works when i initially use the 1070 and then using the Titan messes things up which may have to do with the next point
  3. If I disable caching to disk the whole sim moves along fine on the 1070 but nothing on the Titan. Where is this data being cached to ? The NVRAM ?

Hopefully once this is stable I can do what needs doing…that is getting into the meat of reactions but it looks scary to me…I am not the sharpest tool in the box.

As an aside if anyone is reading this…if you want to stop the annoying default loping of the playback when simming go to the animate menu / play mode and set it to simple, it is on loop by default