Turbulence FD Version 2.0?

Hi, just saw a 2015 talk at a GPU conference about TFD v. 2.0. Is there any news looking forward to? :slight_smile:

Regards nach München,
Arne

The title of that talk was poorly chosen. It makes it sound today like an extremely premature announcement. Since then i chose to err on the side of silence :slight_smile: But the project has grown non-stop.

It’s not news quite yet, but i’m hoping we can start showing previews by the end of the year.
In general terms, the main aspects of the next release are

• Modularity - open up and pick apart the Fluid Container
  • Customization - build your own pieces for a simulation
  • Tools for data types other than voxel grids.
    TFD1 processes particles, meshes and textures on the CPU, only voxels go to the GPU. This is a major performance bottleneck. The new engine processes everything on the GPU and also provides tool sets to create and manipulate non-voxel data.
6 Likes

I’ve slightly update the title and thanks for your answer. :sunglasses:

That is very good to hear, that the development continues.

Everybody is speaking about Houdini these days for VFX…

1 Like

But every time I look at a video of working with Houdini…I get cold sweats and feel ill

3 Likes

These are great news! Cant wait for a full GPU solution that also meshes the fluid. XParticles are ok, but TFD is many times faster and more features are more than welcome :slight_smile:

Is there a plan to include the support for c4d forces, especially Field Force?

Not quite ready to discuss specific features yet.

Sure, no problem, consider it as a feature request then, seems you could have crazy motion control with Field Force alone.

This type of functionality will be available in some form. It’s just the details of the integration that are still in flight.

1 Like

That sounds exciting, thanks for reply!

The Houdini fans are gaining traction. And now with FumeFX in C4D I feel TFD needs a hard bump in features. I am super excited to hear about a new TFD. But please be aware of Market forces and competitors stealing your thunder. Remeber DPIT Effex from Navié?

The bump is on its way :slight_smile:
During several years of iterating on TFD i was unhappy with the pace at which new tech and features moved forward. To change that i decided to start a separate dev track to focus on R&D and release “when it’s done”. Essentially like in the years that lead up to the first TFD release. This has been great for R&D, but it was bad for Marketing.
Turns out this innovation vs maintenance dilemma is a common challenge in business. We have learned about it and are positive to strike a better balance in the future. After the next release we’ll switch to a yearly cycle and release “when it’s time”.

Don’t go subscription. Everyone sees through that now.

2 Likes

+1 !
No subscription please.
Paid updates is fine and a better way to go.

:wink:
Marcus

1 Like

Can you tell us if simulations of liquids is on the horizon?

Liquids are on the roadmap. Timing is still unclear.

2 Likes

Sounds great !

Liquids would be awesome.

Thanks for the info !

Thanks for the great tool, Jascha!
It’s my most favourite plugin in Cinema 4D.

Today I’ve come to the forum to ask a question about the next version of TFD, and surprisingly noticed this topic on the top of the page :slight_smile:
But just one question is left: does this mean that in the new version there will be a multiple GPU support (like in the initial presentation)?

Hello there.

I’m curious about when there might be some stuff to show.

Early test footage or maybe some little infos of the features of TFD 2.0.